22 Oct Fun Facts About ‘The Wizard of Oz’
While The Wizard of Oz” may not be an official “Halloween” movie, it’s plenty scary (at least for the kiddos) all the same. Who isn’t afraid of evil flying monkeys?! And the Wicked Witch was so scary that children were not allowed to see it in some parts of the country.
Voted the” Most Loved Movie of All Time”, the film was not a box-office flop when it was first released, as some have said. It’s been popular since it was released way back in 1939. This film’s 75th anniversary was this year!
Here are nine fun facts that you may not know about “The Wizard of Oz”!
1) If you start the movie at the third roar of the MGM lion, and you begin playing “Dark Side of the Moon” by Pink Floyd, the music synchs up amazingly well. Of course you have to turn the movie’s sound off. It matches up so eerily that David Gilmour from Pink Floyd has been asked if he created the album with ‘Wizard of Oz ‘ in mind. He denies it. But try it yourself!
2) The Tin Man was originally cast as Buddy Ebsen (famous for his role as Jed Clampett in the Beverly Hillbillies) but he had to be recast because he was horribly allergic to the silver paint that the Tin Man wore.
3) Terry, the dog that played Toto was actually a girl, and was paid $125 per week.
4) Many of the flying monkeys were injured on set because the piano wire holding them afloat broke.
5) The tears that the Tin Man cried were chocolate syrup!
6) The green horses at the Wizard’s castle were dyed with green Jell-O powder. The scene had to filmed quickly because the horses licked it off.
7) In the book, “Wicked”, you learn that the Wicked Witch of the West wasn’t really so bad, she had a broken heart. Glinda was the one who caused her misery, which is why she and the Good Witch were such archenemies. The Wicked Witch’s name is Elphaba.
8) The Cowardly Lion’s costume was made of real lion pelts.
9) Shirley Temple was considered for the role of Dorothy before Judy Garland was cast.
Join us this weekend at Thrillvania Haunted House Park at 2330 County Rd 138, Terrell, Tx 75161 for scary sights and more!